Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the O*NET Ability Profiler for selection?
No, the O*NET Ability Profiler was designed specifically for career exploration, career counseling, and career planning purposes. Validity studies have not been conducted for using the O*NET Ability Profiler for selection purposes. The O*NET Ability Profiler must not be used for personnel selection.
A number of sources are available to help organizations locate suitable assessments and explore the reliability and validity of various assessments for specific uses. Some of the available sources include:
- Buros Institute of Mental Measurements Test Reviews Online
- Mental Measurements Yearbook (published by Buros Institute of Mental Measurements)
- Tests in Print (published by Buros Institute)
- Test Critiques (by Daniel J. Keyser and Richard C. Sweetland)
- Testing and Assessment: An Employer's Guide to Good Practices (published by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration). This guide contains information applicable to workforce investment programs concerned with evaluating tests and assessments.
Should states continue to use the GATB?
Is certification and/or training needed to administer the O*NET Ability Profiler?